The University of Sheffield
Department of Computer Science

COM3502 Speech Processing

Summary This module aims to demonstrate why computer speech processing is an important and difficult problem, to investigate the representation of speech in the articulatory, acoustic and auditory domains, and to illustrate computational approaches to speech parameter extraction. It examines both the production and perception of speech, taking a multi-disciplinary approach (drawing on linguistics, phonetics, psychoacoustics, etc.). It introduces sufficient digital signal processing (linear systems theory, Fourier transforms) to motivate speech parameter extraction techniques (e.g. pitch and formant tracking).
Session Autumn 2017/18
Credits 10
Assessment

Introductory exercise (5%)
2 Invigilated MOLE quizzes (MOLE quiz 1 - 15%, MOLE quiz 2 - 20%, total - 35%)
2 programming exercises (programming exercise 1 - 25%, programming exercise 2 - 35%, total - 60%)

Lecturer(s) Prof. Roger Moore
Resources
Aims
  • to describe speech production and perception in humans;
  • to teach computational techniques for analysing speech signals.
Objectives By the end of the unit, a student will have acquired:
  • an understanding of the basic mechanisms of speech production and perception;
  • familiarity with acoustic-phonetic descriptions of the speech signal;
  • an understanding of analysis techniques;
  • an ability to implement speech analysis algorithms;
  • basic knowledge of discrete-time signal processing;
Content Half of the course is devoted to the nature of speech and half to speech signal processing. Topics covered include: speaking, hearing, sounds and symbols, articulatory and acoustic phonetics, phonology, prosody, speech spectra, sampling, fourier transform, linear filters, linear prediction cepstral analysis.
Teaching Method Lectures & scheduled access to a Laboratory for practical work
Feedback
  • Verbal interaction during lectures
  • Comments attached to the marks given to the formal assignments.
Recommended Reading
  • B. Gold and N. Morgan, Speech and Audio Signal Processing, John Wiley, 1999
  • J N Holmes, Speech Synthesis and Recognition, Van Nostrand, 1988.
  • P Ladefoged, A Course in Phonetics (2nd Edition), Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1982.
  • M. Ashby and J Maidment, Introducing Phonetic Science, Cambridge University Press 2005.
  • X. Huang, A Acero and H. Hon, Spoken Language Processing, Prentice Hall 2001.
  • A. Farnell, Designing Sound, Applied Scientific Press Limited, 2008.