Invited talks: workshops, panels, seminars
- Panel member, EPSRC Healtex Workshop, Unmet needs and challenges in using
clinical narrative , 15 November 2016, Manchester, UK.
- Panel member, Digital Humanities and e-Infrastructures , 20th International
Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries, 7 September 2016,
- Invited talk, University of South Wales, "GATE a General Architecture for Text
Engineering", launch of the Welsh Natural Language Processing Toolkit, 26 April
2016, Trefforest, UK.
- Institute of Psychiatry, KCL, seminar: "Linking medical records and semantic
knowledge" 19 April 2016, London, UK.
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School seminar, "Tackling text in the medical
record: challenges and opportunities". 3 December 2015. University of
- American Medical Informatics Association Webinar series, "Reusable and sharable resources for biomedical and clinical NLP". 9 December 2015. International.
- Symposium on automation and systematic reviews, "Supporting systematic reviews of the vaccine literature", 11 November 2015, MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit / Cancer Research UK / University of Bristol, UK.
- 15th Congress of the International Federation for Psychiatric Epidemiology, "Enhancing routine data from mental healthcare - what can natural language processing offer?", 8 October 2015, Bergen, Norway.
- Mental Health Data Science meeting, Farr Institute, "Text mining patient records and the literature", 9 September 2015, Edinburgh, UK.
- 23rd European Congress of Psychiatry, workshop on Developing mental health research and enhancing clinical practice using health records data, "The use of Natural Language Processing to transform health records information", 30 March 2015, Vienna, Austria.
- Food and Environment Research Agency seminar. "Text mining and indexing for systematic literature reviews", 24 February 2015, York, UK.
- Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum, panel on the future of eHealth evaluation, 18 September 2014, Sheffield, UK.
- 17th meeting of the Section of Epidemiology and Social Psychiatry of the European Psychiatric Association (EPA), "Natural Language Processing and Electronic Health Records". 23 May 2014, Ulm, Germany.
- Intravacc (the Dutch vaccine institute), "Applications and opportunities of text mining in science and business", 4 April 2014, Bilthoven, Netherlands.
- FastVac project final advisory board meeting, "An introduction to text mining", 3 April 2014, Amersfort, Netherlands.
- King's College London Institute of Psychiatry bioinformatics seminar, "Semantic spaces for text categorisation", 20 March 2014, London, UK.
- NHS UK Terminology Centre symposium, "Information Extraction from uncoded data", 7 February 2013, Birmingham, UK.
- National Institute for Health Research symposium on Mining electronic health records: "Tackling text: mining unstructured data in South London and The Maudsley NHS Trust Clinical Records Interactive Search (CRIS) system" 15 January 2013, King's College London, London, UK.
- INSIGNEO Computational Methods in Cancer Workshop "Text mining patient records and the literature - applications in GWAS and epidemiology." 11 October 2013, Sheffield, UK.
- Understanding the Record: an inter-disciplinary colloquium on the problems and opportunities for innovative healthcare recording systems, "Tackling text: unstructured data", 28 June 2012, BMA House, London, UK.
- eHealth Masterclass: "Can and should the use of free text data entry and Natural Language Processing (NLP) now displace the role of templates and clinical terminologies?", 8 March 2011, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2nd Annual National Institute for Health Research National Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure Information Systems Workshop, Guy's Hospital, "Electronic Medical Records for Research - Tackling Unstructured Data", 17 October 2011, London, UK.
- Centre for Language Technology, University of Gothenburg, talk on Clinical NLP, 20 January 2011, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Sahlgrenska University Hospital, talk on Clinical NLP, 19 January 2011, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Information Retrieval Facility Symposium, life science panel, "Annotating Biomedical Entities", 21 October 2010, Vienna, Austria.
I regularly provide consulting services to commercial companies and public
sector organisations on natural language processing (NLP), for example:
- Advice and training in the use of GATE and
language engineering in commercial and public sector settings
- The use of NLP with electronic patient records, both commercially and
within the UK National Health Service
- NLP proof of concept development for public sector and commercial organisations
- Manual annotation services and workflows
- Academic reviewing: funding agencies
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique / Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, ATIP - Avenir program (France).
- IWT (Flemish research and innovation funding agency), Strategisch Basis Onderzoek programme (Belgium).
- Academic reviewing: Journals
- Methods of Information in Medicine
- Database: The Journal of Biological Databases and Curation
- Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association
- Journal of Biomedical Informatics
- BMC Bioinformatics
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Health Informatics Journal
- Language Resources and Evaluation (journal)
- Journal of Web Semantics
- Journal of Medical Internet Research
- Academic reviewing: conferences and workshops
- International Conference on Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing
- Association of Computational Linguistics BioNLP workshop
- American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium
- Conference on Empirical Methods on Natural Language Processing
- International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation
- Language Resources and Evaluation Conference
- International Semantic Web Conference
- European Semantic Web Conference
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing
- International Workshop on Advances in Patent Information Retrieval
- UK e-Science All Hands Meeting
- Multimodal Retrieval in the Medical Domain
- Advisory boards, working groups
- BioASQ - Large-scale biomedical
semantic indexing and question answering.
- Farr Institute medical record de-identification working group
- Membership of learned societies
- INSIGNEO institute for in-silico medicine
- AMIA - American Medical Informatics Association
- IMIA - International Medical Informatics Association